If you’ve been around Charleston in the summertime, you know it can get hot and humid and honestly it can get a little miserable to be outside during the day. Even as a native I’ve never really gotten used to it, I’ve just learned to expect it . So how do you prepare for taking Charleston engagement photos in the summer?
Even though it’s hot out, summer can still be a great time to take your engagement photos. Longer days, lush greenery, and gorgeous summer blooms make summer a beautiful season for an engagement session. Plus, summer is when my wedding season winds down a bit so there’s more flexibility for scheduling.
Here are some of my best tips for taking Charleston engagement photos in the summer.
1. Most important, stay hydrated! Drink lots of water in the days leading up to your session, bring plenty of water, and rehydrate afterwards. Let’s face it, we’re all a little grumpy when we’re dehydrated. Keep yourselves comfortable by having plenty of water in your system. You can even bring some frozen water bottles to use as an ice pack!
2. Schedule your photos for early in the morning or late in the evening. I always recommend times right after sunrise or just before sunset to my couples. This part of the day can be much cooler!
3. Wear appropriate clothes for the season. I recommend light, breathable fabrics to help keep you cool. It’s a great time to break out those sundresses and leave the jeans at home.
4. Bring a second outfit! Not only will this be a welcome change and a mood booster if you get a little sweaty but it will also add variety to your engagement session gallery!
Need some tips for what to wear? Click here!
5. Protect your skin! We’ll be out in the sun for a little while so be sure to wear sunscreen, especially if you burn easily. Bug spray is also a good idea if we’re out in a more natural setting. If you don’t want to wear bug spray, dryer sheets in your pockets also do the trick!
6. Ladies, think about having your makeup airbrushed! It holds up much better in the heat and humidity of a Charleston summer.
7. My last tip, think about making Folly Beach one of your engagement session locations and be open to taking a dip together for the last few photos. It can be a refreshing end to your session and create some fun photos for the gallery!
Even with the heat and extra preparation, summer is a beautiful season for engagement sessions! I hope these tips helped prepare you for taking Charleston engagement photos in the summer. Contact me to get yours on the calendar!