One of the biggest questions I get asked by clients is what they should do to prepare for their photo session. Many people don’t have a lot of experience in front of the camera and are often very nervous when it comes time to get their picture taken – I’m also one of those people.
Did I wear the right clothes, should I smile differently, will I look OK in this pose? These are all questions that run through our heads when someone points a camera at us. To ease some tension, check out the tips below.
What to Wear
If you’re anything like me, you stand in front of your completely full closet for what seems like hours every morning trying to figure out what in the world you should wear. On days you actually need to look presentable, the process may take a little longer.
- Matchy matchy outfits are so 1990. Coordinate your outfits with your family or significant other.
- You don’t have to buy anything new but if it makes you feel beautiful, do it! Just make sure you try on your outfit to ensure it fits properly and is comfortable to you.
- Ladies, get a blowout or get your makeup done if you can. DON’T get your hair cut or try a different style right before your photoshoot. Gentlemen, groom your facial hair in a style that is normal for you. If you normally have a beard or mustache, this isn’t the time to shave it off.
- Dress for the current season.
- Don’t be afraid of accessories, small patterns, or pops of color.
For some great examples, check out my What to Wear Pinterest board!
Location, Location, Location
Choosing a location can be tough. I give my clients the option to pick a location that is special to them or pick from some suggestions.
- I typically shoot in urban or a natural environments. The streets of Downtown Charleston or the beautiful Colonial Dorchester State Park are always great options.
- Pick a location that has a special meaning to you and your sweetheart or family. Looking at your photos will be that much more enjoyable.
- Think about texture. Vines, old brick buildings, and grassy fields make my heart flutter.
- Think about your home’s decor and where your images will be hung.
Get some location ideas and see some examples of urban and natural environments in my portfolio.
Having your photos taken should be a fun and enjoyable experience. So smile purty!
- Don’t be afraid to laugh. I love saying things that catch people off guard and make them laugh. To me, those are the most natural and most beautiful smiles.
- Relax. Close your eyes, take a deep breath, open your eyes, and smile.
- DON’T say cheese!! They say, you should say ‘money’ instead. And who doesn’t like money more than cheese?
- To make your smile appear whiter, pick out the right shade of lipstick.
Trust Your Photographer!
This is by far the most important step. I hope you’ve hired me because you love my work and trust me to make your photos just as beautiful.
Trust that your photographer knows how to pose you so you look your best and listen to them when they tell you to tilt your head. Even when what they say sounds odd remember, you’ve hired a professional.
Looking to book your very own photo session around Charleston? Contact me!